Saturday, September 6, 2008

Repairing Windshields Are Easier Than Repairing Families

This story comes not from Merrimack, but from Manchester, although i've heard the story from others in Merrimack, and i'm sure it has been repeated elsewhere.

Me and my friend had just pulled into a parking lot when another guy pulled in next to us. He was going to a store within the strip mall next to the parking lot and saw my friend's battered windshield.

The other guy worked in window glass replacement, so intruded and mentioned his profession; offering a deal on replacing the windshield, my friend agreed and they began talking for several minutes. Eventually somehow the conversation went from windshields to politics.

For the windshield guy, his biggest issue was child custody rights. He told me and my friend that without any apparent reason, the courts gave full custody rights of his 8 month old son to his recently divorced wife. He had to wait another 8 months before even having a chance to see his son again, but he said again the courts did not hear any evidence before granting him no visitation rights to his son.

I did not ask the man's name. I did not know if he was lying or if there was domestic abuse of some kind or any number of other factors.

All I knew is that looking at that man's eyes, I could tell that he wanted to see his newborn son.

My friend's windshield is going to be fixed in a few days. If only the windshield repairman could be given the chance to fix his family so easily....

No comments: